Create a powerful magnetic attractor to achieve courageous and outrageous goals.
Hey it’s Rand,
The more courageous, the more consequential your goals, the more open to possibility you will be.
Goals of Consequence share a common attribute, courage: it takes courage not to dismiss Goals of Consequence out of hand as too hard, as too out there.
Compare this usual goal:
- My goal is to write an article for my local newspaper in the next 3 months
to this goal of consequence:
- My goal is to write a global best-selling book that is translated into 11 different languages within 12 months.
And this one from the corporate arena:
- My goal as CEO is to increase the share price by 15 percent over the next 5 years
- My goal as CEO is to reinvent global transportation over the next 5 years.
Goals of consequence work because they create a powerful magnetic attractor drawing in others around a focal point of effort.
How do you know when you’ve cracked the formula and created a true goal of consequence?
It should invoke outrage – “But that’s impossible!”
It should generate fear – “Even were that possible, I would be frightened to commit to it!”
And it should transform – “Committing to this goal will totally change the way we do things in ways I’ve yet to process!”
To set your own Goals of Consequence, Ffirstly give yourself permission to dream: forget your current constraints; don’t focus on possible difficulties; focus instead on your dream; and complete these sentences:
“Since anything is possible, I want to achieve …”
“Forget the Nobel Prize, forget an Olympic gold medal. I want to win …”
“Since there are no constraints around me, the limits of my potential are …”
Setting this goal one to two years out my rightly make you anxious. Choose a time frame that let’s you stop worrying about how it might be achieved.
Taking the first steps with a big goal can seem daunting. Ask yourself these three questions to kickstart yourself:
- What is the smallest, but most meaningful, step you could make towards this goal this week?
- What is the next step that would signal to yourself, and others, that you are serious about this goal?
- And lastly, who can help you to take the first steps?